Friday, July 14, 2006

First Anniversary!!

It hardly seems like a year has already passed. Just over a year ago I stuffed myself into a three-piece suit on a 34 degree summer day and got hitched to my best friend. A lot of things have happened: another school year, lots of moving, getting used to living together, planning to leave the country for six months, and juggling two busy schedules.

Our first anniversary was a bit of a budget anniversary, next year it's Paris! (kidding, we have to save something for later) So we hopped in the car and went on a tour of the Whiteshell. First stop, Alfred Hole Goose Sanctuary. I know, I know there are not many geese there at this time of the year but the area is beautiful and there is a lovely path around the pond.

The next scheduled was Seven Sister Dam but we found something interesting along the way. Along the 307 highway is a sign stating simply: Petroforms. It picqued our curiousity and we jumped out of the car and down the trail, not knowing what to expect. I think I can safely say that we were both blown away by what we found. Dozens of symbols are laid out with rocks across a large (probably a couple acres) area of exposed rocks and trees. Many of the symbols are obscure and hard to discern, and some look like they have been moved. But some of the more clearly defined images are incredible. As evidenced here: incredible

For the next 45 minutes we walked around, snapped pictures and generally were in awe of the place. We continued on the Seven Sisters but it was a let down after the Petroforms. If anyone is heading down the 307 with some time on their hands I would recommend checking out the site but it might be a good idea to bring a coloured piece of cloth and some tobacco, you'll see what I mean.

All in all I thoroughly enjoyed our first anniversary. Oh yeah and I got Kristy Cirque du Soleil tickets as a gift. I think that she likes them. She gave me a wicked awesome new canoe paddle and new jackknife. Finally, a paddle that is my size! Now we just need a little time off to do the canoe route up in Nopiming.

Later,
Jason

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy Anniversary!! I'm glad you guys found a way to celebrate - and can I say that it really is a celebration indicative of who you each are, and who you are together.

Good luck surviving the busy-ness.

And yay for the two of you!!

Katie

15/7/06 1:01 a.m.  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home