Saturday, July 08, 2006

progress and a sidenote

Well, let's see...where to begin. I am currently putting the finishing touches on my country profile paper for Grenada. It's just a short little assignment but I dislike homework during the summer.

Friday was a good day because my financial assistance from the college arrived (yep, they are paying me to leave the country) and so we are just a little bit closer to reaching our savings goal for Grenada.

Tuesday I go in for my last innoculation from the travel nurse and so that will be finished shortly.

So, little by little we are getting closer and closer to Grenada. It still feels so far away but shockingly close. (yep, I get simultaneous and mixed feelings)

On a different note Kristy and I had an interesting encounter Friday night. We went out to St. Malo, where my mother has her trailer parked for three weeks, and went for a swim and supper. We left before dark because I had a group bike ride Saturday morning. On the way back home we stopped off to snap a few pictures with the digital camera. I have this fascination with old barns and buildings, the more weathered and dilapidated, the better. So we are standing on the side of a canola field taking pictures of a small, old granary when I notice a cyclist approaching. More importantly, he is riding on a recumbent. Kristy and I yell things like, "Nice bike!", etc. and he stops. We walk up to admire his ride (recumbents aren't very common) and I say that we too, are cyclists. This guy stands up from his bike and asks me if I want to take it for a spin, just like that. I do and let me tell you, the balance needed for a recumbent is very different from a regular bike but I manage to ride around a bit. We keep talking and it turns out this guy, Tom, built this bike on his own and his shop was just a little way down the road. Tom invites us over and so we check out his shop. It's filled with crazy contraptions from a tandem bike that only has pedals for the person on the rear, a tall bike (five or six feet tall) and a couple more recumbents (one was even a three wheeled version, with two wheels up front). It's amazing the people you meet on chance encounters when you are out doing your own weird thing, like taking pictures of old buildings. Anyway, here is a picture of me sitting on the recumbent.
recumbent


Thanks for tuning in, we will have more updates soon.

Jason

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great story! Looking forward to seeing you next week!

Love Lori

9/7/06 2:08 p.m.  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home