Thursday, June 15, 2006

MCC Bike the Interlake

Jason and I just finished the MCC Bike the Interlake this last weekend. On Saturday we rode 100 km and Sunday we rode another 93 km. I was seriously nervous before the ride, and when this picture was taken on the first leg on Saturday I was really wondering if I would be able to do it. Thankfully the first leg was the hardest of the day for me! I realized that I needed to settle into a pace that was comfortable for me, and not try to go too fast. This was my strategy for pretty much the rest of the ride and it worked out really well! I actually had a really good time. I rode with a number of different people, visited lots, and felt great about raising money for a worthy cause. I think in the future I will really step up my fundraising efforts.

On Saturday evening we had a short presentation from MCC's Global Family representative who told us more about the project that we were supporting. It brought back memories from Paraguay, since they are helping a church in Bolivia to set up a day care similar to the one I worked in when I was volunteering in Paraguay. The funds that we raised on this ride (close to 50,000) will be enough to completely support this project for the next three years!

This ride has really made me want to sign up for some other rides. I have been thinking about the MS Biking to the Viking from Stonewall to Gimli and back (over two days). The only problem is that Jason can't commit to doing it because it is in August and he will likely be harvesting. If there is anyone out there who would consider riding it with me, please send me an email, or leave a comment. Really, if you start now you have more than enough time to train, and it's not that hard. I trained for about 4 weeks before the bike-a-thon, and I didn't ride more than three times a week. The ride is at the end of August. Think of it as an opportunity to get fit! I know that I have always been much more motivated to keep active when I have a goal that I am pursuing, plus it's a great cause. Check out their website here for more information.

Kristy

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home