Thursday, February 08, 2007

Sample B

I choose my five pictures to highlight some of the things that stand out in my mind about Grenada as a place, and Grenadians as a people. I hope that I will be able to convey them to you at least a little bit!


1. Grenada is a place of extraordinary beauty. The reality that I live within a few minutes walk of the Caribbean sea still escapes me from time to time. The natural world in Grenada is green and blue and is such an integrated part of peoples lives. Everyone has plants growing in their 'yard', such as it is. From Pigeon peas to banana plants it is not enough for Grenadians to have the jungle growing on the hillside behind their house, they plant decorative plants in pots and place them on their railings. I love the beauty of Grenada.



2. Although the natural world may be blue and green, the population of Grenada is NOT afraid of colours. Namely red, green and yellow! On the 7th of February Grenada celebrated 33 years of independance. Every person in Grenada not only wore their national colours but went out and painted walls, curbs and even rocks to celebrate their country's birthday! It was truly an inspirational sight. I can't remember ever experiencing such celebrations for Canada day. I love the spirit of Grenada.



3. Although it always takes time to truly get to know people in a new place, context and culture, Grenadians make it easy to feel welcomed. As we walk the streets we are always greeted and in fact, the longer we are here, the more people recognise us and associate us with Gouyave, even when we're somewhere else, like St. Georges. We have made many aquaintences, as well as friends. Some have started to feel like family, like the little girl Kelci in the picture below. The same age as our niece Andrea, she brings spirit and laughter to our house. Laughter is infectious here and Grenadians love to let loose and have fun. I love the friendliness of Grenada.






4. I included this picture because it places us within our work here in Grenada. Although we do not always know the politics of a given situation, or the background, we are always ready to lift a hand and help wherever we can. GRENCODA works hard in is work and we feel honoured to be a part of their work.


5. Finally, Grenadians know when it is time to stop working and soak up the famous Caribbean sun. Called 'liming' it is an important part of a Grenadian lifestyle. We were once told that the reason Grenadians take things slowly and don't walk in the rain is because they can't depend on good health care to restore them to health if they fall ill or have a heart attack. Here some young men are liming on the beach after a regatta. They were probably on the water in the morning racing their boat and now deserve some rest on the beach. I love the easy going attitude of Grenada.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks! for posting your favorites. You really have captured the flavor of the island -- its people are as beautiful and precious as their natural surroundings -- what a privilege to experience that. Marg

9/2/07 12:19 p.m.  
Blogger The Klippensteins said...

I love the pics. There is always something that a picture shows that words cannot express.

9/2/07 9:18 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think we have a lot to learn...You know that Advil Sinus commercial? This woman is sick with a cold and she says "you think a cold is going to keep me down? You don't know sinus advil" and the next scene she's jogging to work. Ok, I don't like being sick that much, but when I am, I stay home, keep my germs at home and take a break from the world. Doesn't that make a lot of sense instead pumping drugs into my system?
Lori
PS So who wrote what?

12/2/07 2:22 p.m.  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home